- This event has passed.
7 October @ 7.30 pm - 9.00 pmAED 120
Unlike most solo piano recitals, this one highlights the work of the left-hand; usually that plays a supporting role on piano, with the right hand getting all the good notes, but several composers have been interested in testing the possibilities of using just one hand to emulate the virtuosity of a full ten fingers. Says Zecchini: “I had the idea of exploring the left-hand repertoire – 600 pieces – a few years ago when I first studied Ravel’s Concerto pour la main gauche. The fact that playing of just five fingers could sound like two hands seemed like an extraordinary wonder to me”.
Since then the much-garlanded French pianist has made the unusual repertoire his own, with no fewer than ten recordings of music for the left hand over ten years.
Zecchini’s AF Dubai concert offers four pieces for left hand, followed by a second part for both hands.
Part one – left hand:
- Scriabin Prelude and Nocturne opus 9 n°1
- Verdi Miserere, extract from the opera ‘Le Trouvère’
- Massenet Meditation from Thaïs
- Ravel Transcription of the Concerto for the left hand
Part two – both hands:
- Mozart Fantasia in D minor
- Chopin Nocturne opus 9 n°1
- Bernstein Suite on West Side Story
- Legrand The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
- Various composers Suite of famous French songs